John G. Hexem is a Board Certified Anesthesiologist with 32 years experience in research, clinical care, administration and quality assurance. The Hexem Consulting purpose is to bring the culture of safety he has experienced in the field of anesthesiology to all health care providers who are motivated to provide care to their patients as safely as possible.
From a visual standpoint – we wanted the logo to convey knowledge, expertise, experience, and trust. I had two approaches that I thought would be perfect:
1. Big and Bold. A bold, all-uppercase wordmark with a solid foundation and an imposing strength – carefully crafted from a traditional style serif typeface.
2. Signature. What’s more official than someone’s signature? My second approach would be a hand-drawn, completely custom, signature-style mark that could serve as an elegant representation of the doctor’s “official endorsement.”
Mind Maps & Initial Sketches -
below is the sketch that I ultimately digitized for the signature version:
the finalized signature version that was presented:
For the Big and Bold version…I “auditioned” approximately 20-25 fonts and found one in particular that I was so fond of it almost required no customization. However – I’m a proponent for paying attention to detail – so I made the following adjustments:
1. Increased the overall width of the letterforms. (only by about 6.5%) This gave the typography an even broader stance.
2. Decreased the tracking (spacing).
3. Customized a few of the serifs on the baseline. The top gray text in the image below is the original typeface.
In the end – the Big and Bold version won out. It’s precision, strength, and boldness serve as a timeless visual representation of all that Hexem Consulting aims to communicate to it’s potential customers.